What methods can filmmakers use to find and secure suitable locations for their film?

 Here are 20 ways filmmakers can find and secure suitable locations for their film:


.


 How I Find Free Film Locations in Ibadan Villages (7 Methods That Gave Me 3 Days Free + 2 Cows)

how-i-find-free-film-locations-ibadan-villages-acstudios

 I don't use LocationHub. I find Yoruba film locations with okada men, Baales and kola nuts. 

Here are 7 real methods I used to get free compound in Eruwa for my Lisabi film at ACSTUDIOS.NG



 How I Find Free Film Locations in Ibadan Villages Without Location Companies

I have wasted transport money looking for locations that don't exist.

In 2024, I was looking for a cave for my Lisabi-inspired short. I searched Google, I searched "LocationHub Nigeria", I searched Instagram. Nothing. I almost paid a location agent in Lagos N30k to "find me a cave."

Then my friend said, "Kunmi, enter bike and ask old people where they do oriki."

That one sentence changed how ACSTUDIOS.NG finds locations. I found a real cave in Eruwa, plus a compound for 3 days free, food, and 2 cows as props. No agent. No fee. Just respect.

If you are shooting Yoruba film in Ibadan, Oyo, Eruwa, Abeokuta - forget what Hollywood blogs tell you. 
Here are 7 methods that actually work here.

**1. The Okada Man Method (Better Than Google Earth)**

Google Earth will not show you a shrine. It will not show you a 100-year-old mud house.

What I do: I go to the junction of the village I want - Eruwa, Lalupon, Fiditi - park, and ask the oldest okada man: "Baba, where is the oldest compound for this area? Where did they fight Lisabi war?"

I pay him N500-N1000 to take me round. He knows every family. He knows who will say yes, who will say no. He is my location manager.

My cave? An okada man took me there. He said "my grandfather used to hide there during war." That's how I got it.

**2. Baale First, App Later**

Hollywood says "use Location Scout App." In Oyo State, you use Baale.

I don't DM. I don't call. I go physically with one elder who knows the Baale. I come with kola nut, maybe soft drink, and I greet in Yoruba - full prostration.

My pitch is not "Can I use your place?" My pitch is "Baba, I want to tell the story of your village so your grandchildren will see it in cinema. Your compound is beautiful, can it be part of history?"

That is how I got 3 days free. He said "Ah, our cave is beautiful like this?" when I showed him sunset photo on my cracked phone.

You don't need app. You need respect. You need Yoruba.

**3. Take Real Photos With Your Actor Inside (Not Empty Location Photos)**

Location Management Companies show empty rooms. That doesn't sell in village.

What I do: I take 10 photos - morning, afternoon, sunset. And I put my actor in costume inside the photo. Even if it's just me wearing Aso Oke.

When I showed Baale his own cave at sunset with light coming inside, he was proud. He wanted to show his people.


**4. Local Businesses Are Locations - Approach Like Sponsor**

That shop in Bodija? It can be location AND sponsor.

I approached a barber shop in Oja Oba for a scene. I told him: "I will shoot here, your shop name will show for 2 minutes, and I will tag you on Instagram @aking_head where my last short got 12k views."

He not only gave me shop free, he gave me N5k for fuel. Location + small sponsor in one.

List 5 businesses near you: barber, aso oke shop, palm wine joint, mechanic shed. All are free locations if you give them credit.

**5. Film Commissions? Use Cultural Center Instead**

Oyo State doesn't have "LocationHub." We have Egba Cultural Center, Oyo State Council for Arts and Culture, and local tourism office.

I went to the cultural center in Ibadan with my script. I didn't ask for money. I asked "Which villages still have old Egba architecture?" They gave me 4 names. One was Eruwa.

They also gave me a letter - ordinary paper with stamp. When I showed Baale that letter, he trusted me immediately. Government stamp is power in village.

Go there. Greet. Ask for list, not money.

**6. Scout With Your Costume, Not Just Your Camera**

I learned this from failure. I scouted a location, it looked perfect. On shoot day, my actress in big Aso Oke couldn't enter the doorway.

Now I scout with one full costume in my bag. I test: Can actor run here? Can we hide light here? Is there space for camera + 2 people only?
 ACSTUDIOS.NG shoots with small crew, so we need small space.

I also test sound - clap inside. If echo is too much, I know I must bring blanket to dampen.

**7. Always Have Indoor Backup Written (Rain Method)**

In Eruwa, it rained day 2. We had no indoor scene.

I went home and rewrote script that night - added a new scene inside the compound where old woman tells story. We shot it next day while waiting for sun.

Now every script I write has: Location A (Main), Location B (Indoor backup within 5 mins walk). When Baale asks "What if rain?" I say "We have indoor alternative scene already written, we won't disturb you."

That one sentence makes you look professional. Even with N0.

**Final Word From ACSTUDIOS.NG**

I don't use 20 methods. I use 7. And 90% of my locations have been free.

Why? Because in Ibadan, relationship and respect is currency. Not money.

My best location didn't come from database. It came from under mango tree, with kola nut, speaking Yoruba, showing photos on cracked phone screen.

Your next location is not on the internet. It's at that junction, waiting for you to ask that okada man.

What location are you looking for right now? Cave? Old mud house? Market? Tell me in comments, I will tell you how I would find it as ACSTUDIOS.NG.

---

.

Comments

Popular Posts