How can filmmakers balance their creative vision with the commercial demands of the industry?
Here are 10 steps to help filmmakers balance their creative vision with commercial demands:
How I Balanced My Yoruba Film Vision With What Sponsors Wanted (Real Story from Ibadan)
how-i-balanced-yoruba-film-vision-with-sponsors-ibadan
I wanted to shoot authentic Egba history with no fake guns. My sponsor in Bodija wanted comedy and his shop logo big. Here is how I balanced creative vision with commercial demand at ACSTUDIOS.NG without selling out.
#### How I Almost Ruined My Own Film Trying to Be "Artistic" - Balancing Vision and Money in Ibadan
I have been on both sides of this wahala.
In 2023, I wrote a Lisabi-inspired script I loved so much I refused to change one line. Deep Egba proverbs, no English, sad ending where the hero dies. I showed it to a potential sponsor - a phone accessories shop owner in Bodija. He read 2 pages and said, "My customers want to laugh, not cry. Where is the comedy?"
I was angry. I said "You don't understand art." He didn't give me money. My film didn't shoot.
Six months later, I pitched the same story to a Baale in Eruwa differently. He gave me his compound for 3 days free, food, and 2 cows as props. Same story, but I learned how to balance.
If you are a filmmaker in Ibadan like me at ACSTUDIOS.NG, here is how I now balance creative vision with commercial demands without losing myself.
**1. Define Your Core Message - The One Thing You Will Not Change**
For my Lisabi film, my non-negotiable was: "Our fathers were not cowards, they were strategists." An old man told me that in Lisabi forest. That line stayed.
Everything else? I was flexible.
Ask yourself: What is the ONE message if they remove it, the film is useless? Write it on paper. For me it was that one line. For you it might be "women warriors of Egba". Keep that. Negotiate the rest.
*What to shoot:* Your handwritten note with core message on paper, with your script behind it. On a wooden table.
*Alt text:* Filmmaker's core message note for Yoruba film script
*Caption:* This is my non-negotiable. I write it before any pitch.
**2. Know Your Audience - Baale is Not Netflix, Sponsor is Not Baale**
I used to pitch same way to everyone. Big mistake.
- **Baale / Location owner:** He wants respect for his village. Don't talk about Netflix. Talk about "how your film will make his grandchildren proud."
- **Bodija Shop Sponsor:** He wants customers. Tell him "Your shop name will be on the banner at our Ibadan premiere with 50 real people, and I will tag you on Instagram @aking_head where I have 12k views."
- **Actor:** He wants a role that makes him blow. Tell him "This is the only film where you will speak deep Ibadan dialect, not that Lagos Yoruba."
At ACSTUDIOS.NG, I now make 3 versions of one pitch.
**3. Your USP is Your Negotiation Power**
There are 200 Yoruba epics every year. Why yours?
My USP: "We shoot 90% Yoruba language with real shrine locations, not fake set in Lagos."
When the Bodija sponsor asked for comedy, I didn't add a comedian. I said: "My USP is authenticity. If I add fake comedy, you will lose the audience that loves authentic history - and that audience is your best customer, they stay loyal."
He understood. He still sponsored, because my authenticity was his marketing.
Find your USP. Is it real cave in Eruwa? Women warriors? Natural light? That USP is what you protect in negotiation.
**4. Create a Budget-Friendly Script That Still Looks Rich**
Commercial demand = "We don't have money for that."
My first script had 15 locations. My final script had 2: one compound, one forest. Same story.
Trick I use:
- Write day scenes only (no expensive lights)
- Borrow Aso Oke from cultural troupe in Ibadan instead of sewing
- Use real market noise instead of composing music
When I show a sponsor my budget, I show it like this:
Location: Community support (Value N50k - Free for us)
Food: N20k
Transport: N15k
Costume: Borrowed (Value N30k)
It shows I respect money. Commercial people love that.
*What to shoot:* Screenshot of your simple 1-page budget on phone or paper.
*Alt text:* Low budget Yoruba film budget breakdown Ibadan
*Caption:* How I present budget to sponsors - simple and honest.
**5. Collaborate, Don't Argue - Producers See What You Don't**
I wanted my hero to die at the end. My actor friend said, "If he dies, who will people want part 2 for?"
He was right. I changed ending to him being wounded but alive. My creative vision (sacrifice) stayed, but commercial demand (sequel, hope) also entered.
At ACSTUDIOS.NG, I now have one rule: Never say "No" immediately. Say "Explain more, why do you think that will sell?" 50% of time, they have a point.
**6. Be Flexible on Packaging, Rigid on Soul**
You can be flexible on:
- Title (My title changed 3 times for poster)
- Running time (Cut from 25 mins to 15 mins for festival)
- Poster design (Made it brighter for market)
You should be rigid on:
- Language (I refused to do 50% English)
- Respect for culture (No fake juju comedy)
This is the balance.
**7. Research What Sells, Then Hide Your Medicine Inside**
I checked YouTube. What Yoruba films get 500k+ views? Those with strong female lead + proverb title + first 30 seconds hook.
So I re-edited my trailer: Started with old woman saying deep proverb, not with forest shot. Same film, better hook.
Commercial research is not selling out. It's putting sugar on bitter leaf.
**8. Tailor for Platform - What Works at ZUMA Won't Work at Bodija Premiere**
- For Festival (ZUMA, AFRIFF): Keep deep proverbs, slow pace, sad ending. Judges like art.
- For YouTube / Facebook @ Akinboade AkinKunmi: Faster cuts, add English subtitles, happy ending.
- For Sponsor Premiere in Ibadan Hall: Add 10 seconds where you thank sponsor on screen.
I now export 2 versions of same film. Takes 1 extra hour, doubles your market.
*What to shoot:* You editing on laptop in your room, with two export files visible.
*Alt text:* Filmmaker editing two versions of Yoruba film for festival and YouTube
*Caption:* One film, two cuts - festival cut and market cut.
**9. Market Without Lying**
Don't promise sponsor "1 million views." Promise what you can deliver:
"My last short got 12k views in Ibadan alone on Facebook. This one will get similar, plus 50 people will see your banner live at premiere. I will give you 20 photos of your banner on set for your Instagram."
Real numbers build trust for next film. ACSTUDIOS.NG got second location free because first Baale told second Baale "These boys kept promise."
**10. Final Lesson: Relationship is Currency in Ibadan**
My best negotiation didn't happen in boardroom. It happened under mango tree, with kola nut, speaking Yoruba, showing photos on cracked phone screen.
I didn't get money that day. I got something bigger - trust. That Baale now calls me "omo mi" and links me to other villages.
Balancing vision and commercial demand is not about money. It's about making both sides feel like winners.
What are you shooting right now?
Are you fighting with a sponsor over a scene?
Tell me in comments, I will help you find the balance as ACSTUDIOS.NG.
---
**About the Author:** Akinboade AkinKunmi is founder of ACSTUDIOS.NG, Ibadan-based filmmaker documenting Egba history. Follow behind-the-scenes on Instagram @aking_head.



Comments
Post a Comment