How I Created a Distinctive Visual Aesthetic for My Yoruba Film With Phone, Sunlight and Aso Oke - 10 Techniques
Here are 10 techniques filmmakers can use to create a distinctive visual aesthetic:
---
**How I Created a Distinctive Visual Aesthetic for My Yoruba Film With Phone, Sunlight and Aso Oke - 10 Techniques**
When I started Acstudios in Ibadan, I thought visual aesthetic meant expensive camera. I was wrong.
I shot a short film with a borrowed DSLR and it looked like a music video - no style, no soul. Then I shot another film with my Tecno Camon 20, but this time I planned the visuals. People commented "This film looks like Jagun Jagun" - not because of camera, but because of aesthetic.
Visual aesthetic is not about money. It is about consistency. It is about deciding how your film should FEEL before you shoot.
Here are 10 techniques I use now to create a distinctive look for my Yoruba films, even with no budget.
**1. Color Palette: I Stopped Using Every Color and Picked Only 3**
Old me: I let actors wear anything - red shirt, blue wrapper, green gele in same scene. Result looked like carnival.
New me: For my last epic set in old Oyo, I chose only 3 colors for the whole film.
* **Earth Brown:** For farm scenes - represents soil, suffering, grounding.
* **Off-White / Cream:** For purity, for priests, for morning scenes.
* **Blood Red:** For war, for palace, for danger.
How I did it: I told costume person "only bring clothes in these 3 colors". I painted one wall in my location with brown clay to match. Suddenly, every shot looked connected. When red appears, audience feels tension because they have not seen red for 10 minutes.
Hollywood does same - La La Land uses blue and yellow only. Kunle Afolayan's Anikulapo uses earth tones.
**Director Task:** Before your next shoot, go to Pinterest, type "Yoruba color palette" and pick 3 colors. Stick to them for 90% of your shots.
**2. Lighting Style: My Best Light is Window Light at 4PM in Ibadan**
I don't own Aputure lights. I have one small LED and sunlight.
My secret is shooting time. In Ibadan, between 4PM and 5:30PM, sunlight through window is soft, golden, and cinematic. It is free.
For interior palace scenes, I place actor near window, put a white bedsheet on the other side as reflector to fill shadow. That's it. No expensive setup.
For night scenes, I use one lantern practical. I don't try to make night look like day. I let it be dark, with one warm light on face. It looks more real and more mysterious, perfect for Yoruba spiritual scenes.
High contrast lighting I use for interrogation scenes - one hard light from side. Soft natural light I use for love scenes. Lighting tells emotion.
**3. Camera Angles and Movement: Low Angle for Kings, High Angle for Slaves**
I used to shoot everything at eye level. Boring.
Now I ask: Who is powerful in this scene?
* **King or Basorun?** I shoot from low angle, camera looking up. Makes him look like Orisha, giant.
* **Woman begging for her child?** High angle, camera looking down. Makes her look small, vulnerable.
* **Spiritual attack?** I use Dutch angle - tilt camera 15 degrees. Audience feels unease without knowing why.
Movement: I don't have gimbal. I use "wrapper dolly" - I sit on a wrapper on smooth floor and my assistant pulls me slowly. Smooth movement for palace entrance. For fight scene, I go handheld and shake intentionally to create energy.
**4. Composition: The Rule of Thirds and Negative Space for Village**
In our villages, there is space. Don't fill frame with many things.
I use rule of thirds - place actor's eyes on upper third line. And I leave negative space - empty space in direction actor is looking. If a farmer is looking to farmland, I leave 60% of frame as empty land. It makes audience feel loneliness, vastness.
For palace scenes, I use symmetry - king in center, two chiefs left and right equal distance. Shows order, power, tradition.
**5. Lens Choice: I Only Have One Lens, So I Move My Legs**
I shoot with 50mm lens or phone main lens. I cannot afford wide and telephoto.
So I learned: Wide angle feeling - I move camera very close to actor's face, background becomes big. Good for when a character is shocked by revelation of Lisabi story.
Telephoto feeling - I move far and zoom digitally slightly, background compresses, looks intimate for two lovers whispering in farm.
You don't need 5 lenses. You need to understand distance. 1 meter distance = intimate, 5 meters = lonely.
**6. Film Grain or Texture: I Add Slight Grain to Look Like Old Oyo**
Clean digital video sometimes looks too clean, like skit.
In post, I add 10-15% film grain in CapCut. Not too much. Just small texture. It makes my Yoruba epic feel like it was shot in 1970s, like old Oyo empire. It also hides small noise from low light.
I also add slight dust texture for flashback scenes of Lisabi era.
**7. Production Design: Details of Calabash, Not Plastic Chair**
My first set had plastic chair in a 17th century village scene. Someone commented "Is that plastic chair in Oyo Empire?" I was embarrassed.
Now I am obsessed with details. Before shoot, I remove everything modern:
* No plastic bottles, no electric wires in frame.
* Use calabash, wooden stool, clay pots, Aso Oke, not Ankara with modern prints.
* For wall, I use white chalk and charcoal marks, not cement paint.
Production design is not buying expensive things. It is removing wrong things. Audiences believe your world when they see no mistakes.
**8. Color Grading: My 3-Step CapCut Grading for Yoruba Epic Look**
I don't use complex Davinci. I use CapCut on phone:
Step 1: Lower saturation to -15. Makes colors less like music video.
Step 2: Increase warmth to +10 for day scenes, make it feel like hot Ibadan sun.
Step 3: Add slight vignette - darken edges. Draws eyes to actor's face.
I use same LUT for all scenes in same location. Consistency is aesthetic. If farm scene is warm today and cool tomorrow, you have no aesthetic.
**9. Aspect Ratio: I Use 2:1 for Epic, 16:9 for Modern**
Most people use 16:9 for everything. I experiment.
For my Yoruba epic, I use 2:1 (wider). It feels more cinematic, like film you watch in cinema. For village wide shots, it captures farm and sky beautifully.
For modern story set in Ibadan city, I use normal 16:9.
For spiritual scene where Orisha appears, I once used 4:3 square ratio to make it feel old and trapped. Audience felt something different but didn't know why.
Try it. Change aspect ratio intentionally.
**10. Visual References: I Stole From Museum, Not From Instagram**
Don't copy Instagram filmmakers. They copy each other.
I go to National Museum in Ibadan, I take photos of old Oyo walls, of Egungun costumes, of old black and white photos of Lisabi statue. I print them and put on my wall.
For my last film, my reference was not a movie, it was a painting of Sango by a Yoruba artist. I copied its color and lighting.
Create a mood board before shoot: 10 photos of art, fabric, nature, not films. Your aesthetic will be original because your reference is original.
**Final Word**
You don't need N2 million camera to have aesthetic. You need decision. Pick 3 colors, pick your light time, pick your angles, and stick to them for whole film.
My film that people praised was shot on phone costing N180k. But I spent 2 days planning visual style before shooting.
What is your biggest challenge with visual style?
Light? Color? Location?
Tell me in comments, I will reply with how I solved it in Ibadan with no budget.
---



Comments
Post a Comment