How can filmmakers maintain their physical and mental health during long productions?

 Here are 10 solutions for filmmakers to maintain their physical and mental health during long productions:


**How I Pitched My Yoruba Film With N0 and Got Location for Free - 10 Strategies That Work in Ibadan (ACSTUDIOS.NG)**


I have pitched film ideas to people who had money and they looked at me like "who is this boy from Ibadan?" My first pitch was terrible. I said "I have a good story, please support me." Nobody supported.


My last pitch was different. I pitched a short film about Lisabi spirit to a baale in Eruwa and he gave me his compound for 3 days free, gave us food, and gave us 2 cows to use as prop. No money, just permission. Why? Because I changed my strategy.


If you are a filmmaker in Ibadan trying to pitch to sponsors, to actors, to location owners, to a senior producer, these 10 strategies work for ACSTUDIOS.NG and they will work for you.


**1. Know Your Audience - Baale is Not Netflix**


I used to pitch same way to everyone. Mistake.


* **If pitching to Baale / Location owner in Oyo:** He doesn't care about logline. He cares about "Will your film bring respect to our community? Will you show our culture well?" So I start with respect, I greet in Yoruba, I explain how film will honor his village.


* **If pitching to Actor:** He cares about "Will this role make me blow? Will you show me well?" So I show character depth, not budget.


* **If pitching to Small Sponsor (shop owner in Bodija):** He cares about "How many people will see my shop name?" So I talk about views, Instagram @aking_head promotion.


At ACSTUDIOS.NG, I write audience name at top of my pitch note. One page for Baale, one page for sponsor. Different language.


**2. Craft a Compelling Logline - One Sentence That Hooks Like Talking Drum**


Your logline is not summary. It's hook.


Old logline: "A young warrior who wants to save his people from slavery." Boring, 1000 films like that.


New logline I used for Lisabi inspired film: "A timid farmer who discovers he is the reincarnation of Lisabi must lead his village against a modern land grabber who uses juju, not guns."


See? Specific, Yoruba, conflict, twist. In one sentence.


My formula for ACSTUDIOS.NG loglines: [Character flaw] + [Cultural twist] + = Example: "A broke talking drummer who lies that he can speak to Sango must perform real ritual when drought hits his village."[Stakes]


Practice your logline in Yoruba and English. If a market woman in Oja Oba understands and says "Ehn, what happened next?", your logline works.


**3. Develop a Strong Visual Presentation - Show, Don't Just Talk**


Nobody wants to read 5-page script. They want to see.


I don't have pitch deck designer. I use Canva on phone, 5 slides only:


Slide 1: Title + one powerful image (I use one still from my previous ACSTUDIOS.NG work)

Slide 2: Logline + main character face

Slide 3: 3 photos of location we want (real photos I took, not Google)

Slide 4: 3 photos of costumes / mood (Aso Oke colors)

Slide 5: What I need from them + What they will gain


I also carry 30-second teaser - even if it's just me acting the main character in costume in my room. Visual is proof you can execute.


For my last pitch, I showed 20-second phone video of me testing the cave location at sunset. Baale saw it and said "Ah, our cave is beautiful like this?" He was sold.


**4. Highlight Your Unique Selling Point - Why Your Film is Not Just Another Yoruba Epic**


There are 200 Yoruba epics every year. Why yours?


My USP for ACSTUDIOS.NG films: "We shoot authentic Egba history with 90% Yoruba language and real shrine locations, not fake set in Lagos."


Find your USP:


* Is it language? (100% Ibadan dialect)

* Is it location? (Real Lisabi forest)

* Is it story angle? (Women warriors of Egba, not men again)

* Is it style? (Shot with natural light, no artificial)


When I pitched to an actor, I said: "This is the only film this year where you will speak deep Egba proverbs, not modern Yoruba. It will show your range." He accepted without pay.


**5. Showcase Your Team's Expertise - Even If Team is 2 People**


I don't have big team. ACSTUDIOS.NG is small. But I make small look expert.


Instead of "We are small crew", I say: "Our team has shot 4 short films in Ibadan villages, we have experience managing village extras, we have relationship with Egba cultural center."


I show:


* Photo of us on previous set (even if 3 people)

* Link to previous film on YouTube

* One testimonial: "ACSTUDIOS.NG respected our culture" - Baale of previous location


Credibility is not about number, it's about proof you have done it before, even small.


**6. Demonstrate Market Potential - Who Will Watch?**


Sponsor wants to know: who will watch?


I show data:


* "My last short on Facebook @ Akinboade AkinKunmi got 12k views in Ibadan alone"

* "Yoruba epic hashtag on TikTok has 500M views, audience is there"

* "This film will be submitted to 5 festivals including ZUMA and AFRIFF where buyers come"


I also say: "We will premiere in Ibadan with 50 invited guests including local press, your logo will be on banner." For local sponsor, 50 real people in hall is more convincing than 1M online promise.


**7. Create a Clear Budget and Timeline - Show You Respect Money**


Even if you are asking for location free, show you have plan.


I write simple budget on one page:


* Location: Community support (Free - Value N50k)

* Food: N20k for 3 days

* Transport: N15k

* Costume: Borrowed from cultural troupe


Timeline:


* Day 1-2: Rehearsal

* Day 3-5: Shoot

* Day 6-10: Edit at ACSTUDIOS.NG

* Day 12: Show you first cut


When people see timeline, they trust you are serious, not "we will shoot whenever". Even if no money involved, timeline shows professionalism.


**8. Use Storytelling Techniques - Pitch is Performance**


Don't read pitch. Perform it.


I start with story, not intro. Example: "Last year, I went to Lisabi forest and an old man told me, 'If you don't tell our story, our children will think we were slaves.' That night I couldn't sleep."


Now audience is hooked. Then I enter pitch.


I use Yoruba proverbs in pitch - "Bi omode ba subu, a wo iwaju..." - it connects with older chiefs.


Your pitch should be 3 minutes max. Practice in front of mirror. Record yourself on phone. Watch if you look confident.


**9. Show Your Passion and Enthusiasm - But Not Begging**


Passion is not shouting "I love film". Passion is detail.


When I pitch, I know name of location, name of Baale's father, history of village. That shows I care enough to research. People support passion with preparation, not just emotion.


I also show I have already started - "I have already sewn one costume with my money, I have already secured one actor." That shows you are not waiting for them, you are moving.


Never beg. Say "I would love you to be part of this" not "Please help me, I have no one". Partnership, not pity.


**10. Prepare for Questions and Feedback - The Real Pitch Starts After Pitch**


After every pitch, they will ask hard questions. Prepare:


* "How much will you make from this film?" - Answer: "This one is for festival and brand building for ACSTUDIOS.NG, but next one will be commercial, and you will be first partner."

* "What if it rains?" - Answer: "We have indoor alternative scene written already."

* "Why should I trust you?" - Answer: Show previous work on phone immediately.


I always end with: "What would make you more comfortable to support this?" - Gives them chance to say their condition.


At ACSTUDIOS.NG, we never argue with feedback. We write it down. Even if they say no, we ask "Can I come back with better version?" Most say yes.


**Final Word From ACSTUDIOS.NG**


Pitching in Ibadan is not like pitching in Lagos or Netflix. Here, relationship and respect is currency.


My best pitch didn't happen in boardroom. It happened under mango tree, with kola nut, speaking Yoruba, showing photos on cracked phone screen.


You don't need perfect English. You need clear story, respect, and proof you can deliver.


What are you pitching right now? 

Location? Actor? Sponsor?

 Tell me in comments, I will help you craft your logline as ACSTUDIOS.NG.


---


Comments

Popular Posts