How can filmmakers effectively showcase their work at film festivals?

 How I Showcased My Film at a Local Film Festival in Ibadan With Zero Budget - 5 Lessons"**


*How to Showcase Your Film at Film Festivals in Nigeria - What Worked For Me in Ibadan**

I have never walked the red carpet in Cannes. My first film festival experience was in a small hall in Ibadan with 40 plastic chairs, a projector that stopped twice, and a small speaker. But that day, one person in the audience connected me to my next project.


Many filmmakers from Ibadan and Lagos think showcasing at festivals is only for big budget films. It is not. It is about how you present your small film in a big way.


If you have a short film sitting on your laptop, here is how to effectively showcase it at film festivals based on my own mistakes and lessons as founder of FTS Filming Industry.


**1. Research and Select Relevant Festivals - I Wasted N10,000 Learning This**


When I started, I submitted my Yoruba short film to 5 random international festivals I saw on Instagram. All rejected. I lost submission fees.


Why? My film is Yoruba language, 20 minutes, cultural epic. That festival only shows English sci-fi.


Stop submitting everywhere. Submit where your film belongs.


For filmmakers in Nigeria, especially Yoruba filmmakers, these festivals actually watch your film:


*   **AFRIFF - Africa International Film Festival, Lagos:** They love African stories.

*   **ZUMA Film Festival, Abuja:** Organized by NFC, they support indigenous films.

*   **Best of Nollywood (BON) Awards:** Great for networking.

*   **Lifespan Film Festival and UI Theatre Arts Department Screenings:** Small but the programmers will actually sit and talk with you.

*   **Kaduna International Film Festival:** Growing and open to short films.


Before you pay, watch last year's selected films on their YouTube. If your film is similar style, submit. If not, save your money.


**2. Prepare a Strong Submission Package - Your Poster Is Your First Audition**


Festival programmers receive 500+ films. They will not watch all. They will first see your poster, trailer, and synopsis.


My first poster was terrible. I put 8 faces, small text, and lots of effects. Nobody could read it.


My new rule is the Bodija Market Test: If a woman in Bodija market cannot understand what your film is about in 3 seconds looking at your poster, change it.


Your package must have:


*   **Trailer (60 seconds and 30 seconds):** First 5 seconds must hook. No long logo animation. Start with your strongest shot.

*   **Synopsis (150 words max):** Not your whole story. Write the heart of it. Example: "A young Egba warrior must choose between loyalty to Alaafin and freedom for his people."

*   **Poster (One face, one emotion, big title):** Look at Jagun Jagun poster. One face, strong.

*   **Stills:** 5 high-quality behind-the-scenes photos, not blurry set photos.


Technical: Export film as MP4, 1080p, with clean audio. Many Nigerian films are rejected because of bad sound, not bad story.


**3. Network and Build Relationships - Don't Just Share Flyers**


At my first festival, I printed 100 flyers and shared to everyone. Nobody called me.


At my second festival, I did different. I sat down after my screening and asked the programmer: "What did you think about the ending?" We talked for 20 minutes. He introduced me to two producers.


Festivals are not for sharing flyers. They are for building 3 real relationships.


How to network as an introvert filmmaker from Ibadan:


*   Arrive early, sit in front.

*   Ask one intelligent question during Q&A of another film. People will remember you.

*   Don't say "Help me". Say "I loved your film's lighting, how did you achieve it?" People love to talk about their work.


**4. Create a Marketing Strategy Before The Festival Day**


Don't wait till festival day to post.


What I do now, 14 days before:


*   Day 14-10: Post behind-the-scenes photos on @aking_head with hashtag of festival.

*   Day 9-7: Post trailer and tag the festival official page.

*   Day 3: WhatsApp broadcast to my contacts: "My film is screening at so-so place, come support."

*   Day 1: Go Live on Instagram from venue.


During festival, take photos and videos. That content will help you for your next submission. Programmers love filmmakers who promote the festival itself.


**5. Be Prepared For The Festival - The Q&A Will Make or Break You**


After screening, they will give you mic. What you say matters more than your film sometimes.


Be ready for these 5 questions - they ALWAYS ask them:


1.  What inspired this story?

2.  How much did you spend? (Don't say exact, say "We worked with a limited independent budget and focused on story")

3.  What challenges did you face on set?

4.  What is your next project?

5.  How can we watch your film after?


Practice your answers in Yoruba and English. Speak confidently. I always wear my FTS shirt so people remember the brand.


Bring extra: 1 power bank, 1 HDMI cable, 1 copy of film on 2 different flash drives and on Google Drive. Projectors fail in Nigeria. Be ready.


**Conclusion**


You don't need to start with Toronto International Film Festival. Start with Ibadan, start with Abeokuta, start with Lagos. Showcase your film where your people are.


Your small hall screening today is the rehearsal for your big stage tomorrow.


I am preparing a list of 10 active Nigerian film festivals accepting short films right now for 2025/2026. Comment "FESTIVAL LIST" if you want me to send it to you on this blog.

Comments

Popular Posts