How can filmmakers troubleshoot common technical problems on set?

 How I Troubleshoot Technical Problems On Set in Ibadan With No Backup - 7 

Real Solutions From ACSTUDIOS Filming**


How I Troubleshoot Technical Problems On Set in Ibadan With No Backup - 7 Real Solutions From ACSTUDIOS Filming**


If you have shot a film in Ibadan with small crew, you know technical problems don't come one by one. They come together. Camera battery dies, audio has noise, sun disappears, actor's costume tears - all in same hour.


On my first short film set for ACSTUDIOS , we lost 3 hours because my mic stopped working. 

We didn't know how to troubleshoot. We just pressed buttons. That day I learned: troubleshooting is a skill, not luck.


Here are 7 ways I troubleshoot common technical problems on set now, with zero budget backup.


**1. Identify The Problem - Stop Panicking, Ask What Changed?**


Old me: When camera shows no image, I shout "Camera don spoil!"


New me: I stop, breathe, and ask 3 questions:


* What was working 5 minutes ago?

* What did we change just now?

* Is it power, connection, or setting?


Example: Last month in Moniya location, my phone gimbal stopped balancing. I wanted to throw it. Then I asked what changed? We added a heavy Aso Oke to actor. Gimbal motor overload. We removed one wrapper, rebalanced, it worked.


On set, 80% of problems are power or cable. 20% is settings. Hardware rarely dies suddenly. So ask what changed first.


**2. Check The Basics - The N500 Problem That Looks Like N50,000 Problem**


I have a checklist I run every time something fails, before I call anyone:


* **Power:** Is battery actually charged? Is power bank on? Is generator fuel finished? I once thought my LED spoiled - it was just power bank switched off.

* **Cable:** Push every cable in again. HDMI, mic jack, Type C. In dusty Ibadan locations, dust enters ports. Blow and re-insert.

* **Settings:** Is phone on silent so mic not recording? Is camera on manual focus and we think autofocus failed? Is frame rate changed to 60fps and light is flickering?


My rule: Check basics for 2 minutes before you touch manual. Last week, my audio had hiss - I almost bought new mic. Then I saw mic cable was touching my power bank cable causing interference. Separated them, hiss gone. N0 cost.


**3. Consult Manuals and Resources - But Your Best Manual is WhatsApp**


Nobody reads paper manual on set. But I have 3 faster resources:


* **YouTube offline:** Before shoot, I download 3 videos: "How to fix [my camera model] not recording", "How to fix Boya mic noise". I save them offline. 

No network in village location.

* **ACSTUDIOS WhatsApp Group:** I have group of 5 filmmakers in Ibadan. When I have problem, I send 10-second video of problem. Someone has faced it before. 

Faster than Google.

* **My own note:** I have small notebook - "Problems I Faced". Each time I solve problem, I write solution in Yoruba and English. Now I have 20 solutions. No need to search again.


Manufacturer support is useless on set in Ogunpa. Your fellow filmmaker is better.


**4. Isolate The Issue - Test One Thing At A Time**


When audio has problem, don't change mic, cable, phone, app at same time. You will never know what fixed it.


How I isolate:


* Audio noise? Test 1: Remove mic, use phone internal mic - noise gone? Problem is external mic. Test 2: Change cable only - noise gone? Problem was cable. Test 3: Change phone - noise still there? Problem is environment (generator noise nearby).


* Camera not focusing? Test 1: Switch to manual focus - works? Autofocus issue. Test 2: Clean lens with soft cloth - works? Dust was issue.


This method saved me in Egbeda shoot. Projector not showing image. We isolated: Laptop to projector cable works with another laptop? Yes. So laptop HDMI port issue. We switched to using phone + HDMI adapter and continued screening.


Isolate, don't guess everything.


**5. Develop a Contingency Plan - My Ibadan Filmmaker's Backup Kit**


With no money for backup camera, what is backup?


My backup kit cost less than N15,000 but saves shoot:


* **Camera backup:** 2 phones, both charged 100%, with same filming app (Filmic Pro). If main phone overheats (common in Ibadan sun), switch to second phone immediately.

* **Audio backup:** One Boya mic + one small lavalier + phone voice recorder app. If wireless fails, use wired. If both fail, place phone close to actor with voice recorder.

* **Light backup:** White bedsheet as reflector + small rechargeable torch. If LED dies, use sunlight + reflector.

* **Power backup:** 2 power banks, 20,000mAh each, fully charged. Extension box 5 meters.

* **Location backup:** Always have 2 corners in same location that can serve as different scenes. If sun is too harsh in farm, move to shade of tree and say it's same farm.


I also tell cast: "If we have technical delay, we will rehearse lines, not press phone." Keeps energy.


**6. Communicate With The Team - Don't Hide Problem, Say It Fast**


Old me: I hide problem from actors so they don't panic. Result - they wait 1 hour doing nothing and get angry.


New me: I say loud: "Guys, mic has small issue, give us 5 minutes to fix, please run lines for scene 4". When you communicate, team helps.


On one set, my tripod head broke. I told team. One actor said "My uncle has welding shop nearby, let's go fix". 15 minutes, fixed.


If director doesn't know camera problem, he will keep directing actors to act while you are not recording. Waste.


My communication script: "We have, we need, please do, I will update in ". Short, clear.[problem][time][task]


**7. Test and Verify - Record 10 Seconds Before Saying Action Again**


The biggest mistake: You think you fixed it, you shout "Action", actor gives best performance of his life, and you realize audio still not recording.


Now my rule: After fixing any problem, I do 10-second test.


* Record 10 secs

* Playback immediately with earphone

* Check video, audio, light, focus

* Then say "We are back"


I also clap before test so I can sync later.


Last month, we fixed camera overheating by cooling phone in shade. We thought fixed. Did test - video still lagging because phone storage full. If we didn't test, we would have lost another 20 minutes.


Test always. Your actor's best take should not be wasted on technical failure.


**Final Word - Technical Problem is Normal, Not Spiritual**


In Yoruba film sets, when light goes off, some people say "village people". No. It's battery.


Every professional set in Lagos has technical problems. The difference is how fast you fix. Don't panic, don't blame. Fix.


My ACSTUDIOS Filming notebook now has 27 problems solved. That notebook is more valuable than new camera because it saves shoot days.


What technical problem frustrates you most on set in Ibadan? Camera, audio, light, or power? Comment below, I will tell you how I solved it with less than N2000.


---



Comments

Popular Posts